Sorbic Acid is used as a preservative in cosmetics and topical medications.
How can I avoid it?
Skin contact with Sorbic Acid is required for it to cause a rash. Discontinuation of exposure to products containing Sorbic Acid should result in improvement and/or resolution of your dermatitis. By law, all products made in the US for topical use have the ingredients listed either on the product package or the box that contains it, so check the labeling of your skin care products for this ingredient. If there is no information ask your pharmacist or call the company directly. At work, request a material safety data sheet (MSDS) to help identify potential sources of exposure.
Direct contact with foods or products containing Sorbic Acid may cause symptoms including burning, irritation and redness. Direct contact may occur on the skin, lips or mouth. It is possible, but rare, that ingestion of this substance could cause generalized symptoms such as itching or redness of the skin.