Propylene Glycol is a solvent (allows things to dissolve), humectant (moistening), and preservative (prevents decomposition) properties. It is widely used in medicines, cosmetics, and in industry.
How can I avoid it?
Glycerin is an excellent substitute for Propylene Glycol in many formulations. Extremely sensitive individuals may have a flare-up or dermatitis after oral ingestion of foods or upon the use of oral, intramuscular, or intravenous medications containing propylene glycol.
Skin contact with Propylene Glycol is required for it to cause a rash. Discontinuation of exposure to products containing Propylene Glycol should result in improvement and/or resolution of your dermatitis. By law, all products made in the US for topical use have the ingredients listed either on the product package or the box that contains it, so check the labeling of your skin care products for this ingredient. If there is no information ask your pharmacist or call the company directly. At work, request a material safety data sheet (MSDS) to help identify potential sources of exposure.
Antifreeze and deicing compounds
Automotive brake fluid
Whipped topping mix
Canned French fried onions
Butter flavored popcorn
Coffee based drinks
Household cleaning products and liquid detergents
Skin Care Products / Cosmetics
Hair care products
Hair Colorants / “Permanents-Relaxers”
Soaps / Cleansers/ household detergents
Shampoos / Conditioners
Powders / Sprays
Medications, topical, prescription and over the counter such as
Oral - cough preparations
Injectables (intramuscular, intravenous)
Benzoyl peroxide preparations
Eye / ear / Nose preparations
Medical gels (Electro II, electrocardiogram gels, Spectra 360, transcutaneous nerve stimulator gel)