What is it?
Mercuric Chloride is a metal compound used in a wide range of ways including disinfectant, antiseptic, insecticide and preservative.
How can I avoid it?
Avoidance requires reading the product labels, package inserts, Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS), and on occasion, direct communication with the manufacturer.
- Batteries (dry) (depolarizer)
- Electroplating aluminum
- Furs, mordant for rabbit and beaver
- Hair tonics
- Photography (antiseptic and intensifier)
- Preserving wood and anatomical specimens
- Tanning leather
- Wood staining
- Dental Material
- Over the counter topical treatments
- stimulant laxatives
- diaper rash ointment
- eye dropsmnasal sprays
Other names for mercuric chloride:
- Corrosive mercury chloride
- Corrosive sublimate
- Mercury (II) chloride
- Mercury bichloride
- Mercury perchloride
- Bichloride of mercury
- Mercury chloride
Potential cross-reacting/co-reacting substances:
- Mercury ammonium chloride