Dioctyl phthalate is a substance used in the manufacturing of some plastics and rubbers.
Phthalates are by far the most widely used plasticizers, primarily to make soft and flexible polyvinyl chloride (PVC) for the
applications in the industry of automotive, building & construction material, cable, flooring, medical device and toys
How do I avoid it?
You should avoid any contact with this substance. Avoidance requires reading labels, package inserts, Material Safety Data Sheets
(MSDS), and, on occasion, direct communication with the manufacturer.
• Dye carrier
• Insect repellents
• Medical devices:
- IV bags and tubing
- Nasogastric tubes
- Dialysis bags and tubing
- Blood bags
- Air tubes
• Small molecule phthalates are used as solvents in perfumes to provide longer linger and in nail polish to prevent chipping.
• Solid rocket propellents
• Solvents in lacquer and pesticides
• Textile lubricating agents
Other names for dioctyl phthalate
• 1,2-Benzene dicarboxylic acid bis (2-ethylhexyl ester)
• 1,2-Benzenedicarboxylic acid bis(2-ethylhexyl) ester
• Ethyl hexyl phthalate
• 2-Ethylhexyl phthalate
• Bis (2-ethylhexyl phthalate)
• Di (2-Ethylhexyl) Phthalate
• Diethylhexyl phthalate
• Di-sec-octyl phthalate
• Octyl phthalate
• phthalic acid dioctyl ester
Potential cross-reacting/co-reacting substances
• Other phthalate