What is it?
Benzylbenzoate is an ingredient used in fragrances, foods, veterinary products, and insecticides. It is also used as a medicated lotion to treat lice and scabies.
How can I avoid it?
Avoidance requires reading the product labels, package inserts, Safety Data Sheets (SDS), and on occasion, direct communication with the manufacturer.
• Fragrances – fixative
• Skin care products
- Moisturizers – creams and lotions
- Foot and hand cream
- Body scrubs
• Hair care
- Styling products
• Food additive in artificial flavors and prepackaged foods
• Antiparasitic insecticide – lice and scabies treatment
• Repellent for chiggers, ticks, and mosquitos
• Veterinary preparation
Other names for Benzylbenzoate:
• Benzoic acid, benzyl ester
• Benzoic acid anhydrid
• Benzoic acid phenylmethyl ester
• Benzyl alcohol benzoic ester
• Benzyl benzoate
• Benzyl phenylformate
Potential cross-reacting/co-reacting substances:
• Balsam of Peru
• Benzoic acid
• Tolu balsam